Friday, February 3, 2012

Formerly Food Addicted #1 - Stats

Food Addiction...compulsive eating disorder...binge eating disorder...whatever you want to call it, it is something that I have struggled with for years. According to an online medical dictionary, binge eating disorder can be defined as follows:
"Binge eating disorder (BED) is characterized by a loss of control over eating behaviors. The binge eater consumes unnaturally large amounts of food in a short time period, but unlike a bulimic, does not regularly engage in any inappropriate weight-reducing behaviors (for example, excessive exercise, vomiting, taking laxatives) following the binge episodes." Source: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Binge-Eating+Disorder

It's more than just simply overeating. It's an embarrassing, shameful, problem that sometimes renders me feeling helpless and powerless. But I am not without hope. And I believe that this monster can be conquered! 
At my highest weight last year, I tipped the scales at 275 pounds. I lost some weight, but have put most back on due to a fracture in my foot that has been slow to heal. So, I stand now at 260 pounds. My immediate goal is to see 200 pounds, but ideally I could stand to lose a total of 100 pounds. I'm 5'9'', so 175lbs would be a decent weight for me. I have to admit that when I was losing weight before, I was exercising like a madwoman. That extreme exercise helped me to lose in spite of frequent binges that were probably 5,000 calories each. Since I have been off of my feet for 3 1/2 months now, it's a little harder to hide the damage done from my episodes. Still, I know from past experience that weight loss is almost 100% about how you eat. Exercise helps with toning, maintaining and gaining muscle mass, speeding metabolism, etc, but it's still possible to lose weight without exercise.
Today's stats
Weight: 260
Waist: 42''
Eating Behaviors: No binges today; semi-healthy food choices



No comments:

Post a Comment