Thursday, May 3, 2012

Formerly Food Addicted #8 -Knowing Who I Am

It feels so good when you go several days in a row with no binges. I am making mostly healthy food choices, and enjoying it. My weight is back to moving in the right direction (check out my Weigh in Wednesday page each week).

I recently started reading Brain Over Binge. I haven't finished it yet, but I had sort of an epiphany while reading. The book reminded me that the binge behavior that beckons me is not really who I am. It is a struggle I have, but it is not representative of the real me. On a regular day, my inner desire is not to eat horrible foods in astronomical quantities. Even in the midst of a binge, it feels like there is a war going on - the part of me that doesn't want to binge is very much present, but has given up. So, in light if these thoughts, and the thoughts shared in the book, I was reminded that I do not have to give in to the binge. It is not who I really am, so I don't have to do it.

I thought it would be helpful to define who I really am and want to be as it relates to eating, so that I can refer to it when the monster appears:

I am striving towards optimal health
I have a healthy relationship with food
I enjoy eating a variety of nutrient rich foods
I continue to educate myself about nutrition
I eat minimal amounts of sugar and processed foods
When tempted to binge eat, I can be victorious through Christ because "....the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4b
Rather than entertain what the binge monster would have me taste, I would rather "Taste and see that the Lord is good..." Psalm 34:8a
Even in those moments when the compulsion seems unbearable
And I feel I can only get relief by giving in
I am reminded that I WILL NOT BE MASTERED BY ANYTHING
" All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything" I Corinthians 6:12
I am free

4 comments:

  1. Way to go!! Each day you have success the closer you get to your goal!! Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Former Life Girl! Thank you for commenting on my blog- I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. Will be reading!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!! I am so glad I found your blog! I know exactly how you feel and these scriptures are something I needed to read today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy your blog and am honored that you took the time to visit mine. I'm glad that you found encouragement here :-)

      Delete