Monday, March 12, 2012

Formerly Food Addicted #3 - Fasting

Fasting is a spiritual discipline practiced by many Christian denominations (and other religions too for that matter.) In the past I have done full fasts and partial fasts. Though it can be a challenging process, it always resulted with a feeling of spiritual renewal. But in the last few years that my food addiction has been out of control, I have not attempted to fast - because the last time I attempted one, I ended up binging, and I felt so defeated.

I decided to give it a go, on a small scale. During the Lenten season, I have decided to give up refined sugar - cupcakes, candy, cookies, donuts, etc. I chose sugar, for one, because it will definitely be a sacrifice for me. But it's not only sacrificial, but symbolic of my struggle against the compulsion to binge. Binges always consist of sugary treats or other unhealthy foods. So I feel that this fast is in essence waging war against the desire that seeks to control me.

I entered this fast with a different perspective. Instead of fearing failure, I go into this accepting my own limitations. I go into this acknowledging God's power to help me overcome temptation. I go into this acknowledging that God loves me enough to forgive me if I mess up, and He will receive me when I try again.

To all those fasting during this season, may we all grow closer to God and experience a spiritual awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment